Volume : 3, Issue : 3, JUN 2019
A Study on the Impact of Micro Insurance on Women Empowerment in Kerala
Kannan V Unnithan, Neenu Venugopal, Dr. M. Somasundaram
Micro insurance provides security to the low income group or poor people. It is a kind of a financial service package for poor people that cover their risks by paying a small amount of premium on regular basis. Women empowerment is critical to the process of development of the economy. It plays a crucial role in the alleviation of poverty and in the all round progress of the nation. Among the various measures targeted towards women empowerment, the provision of micro-insurance assumes great importance. Though various measures are been taken by the government in empowering the women, its outcomes are not been measures mostly. Kudumbashree, a community organization of Neighborhood Groups is one such programme in Kerala which strives towards women empowerment. This study tries to evaluate the impact of micro-insurance on the empowerment of rural people under Kudumbashree scheme.
Micro Insurance, Micro Insurance Products, Women empowerment, Self Help Group (SHGs), Neighbourhood Groups (NHGs).
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Article No : 2
Number of Downloads : 0
- Arora and Poonam (2009), “Insurance made available to socially backwardpeople”, IBMR Business School, Ahmedabad. Socio - economic Imprint, March-April, p. 3.
- Lina Joy, A. Prema and S. Krishnan (2008), “Determinants of GroupPerformance of Women-led Agro-processing Self-help Groups in Kerala”, Agricultural Economics Research Review, Vol. 21 (Conference Number), pp 355-362.
- NABARD (2012), “Micro insurance”, NABARD Report, p. 98.
- NABARD (undated), “Micro insurance”, NABARD Report, p.96, http://www.nabard.org/pdf/report_financial/Chap_X.pdf.
- Venkateshmurthy & G.M. Dinesh, women empowerment through SHG-ananalysis’