Volume : 3, Issue : 3, JUN 2019
Thermal Observation of Casting for Aluminium Alloy at Various Moulding Sand
Manmohan Yadav, Yogesh Kumar Tembhurne
The grain size and mechanical properties of cast metal are defined by the geometrical characteristics and thermophysical properties of the metal and the mold. Heat loss from the mold to the environment through convection can also affect the mechanical properties of cast metal. Present study reports two-dimensional numerical simulations made of aluminium alloy solidification in industrial AI 50/60 AFS greensand and mullite molds, using the finite element technique and ANSYS (version 14.5) software. FEA software like ANSYS may play an important role in predicting cast defects before the actual casting.
Metallurgical characteristics, such as the attack zone in the feed head and hot top were not taken into account in this study, since they are irrelevant the behaviour of heat transfer of the metal to the mold. Owing to the moulds temperature dependent thermo physical properties, this type of problem is of nonlinear characteristic.
Article : Download PDF
Cite This Article
Casting Process, Heat Transfer, Finite Element Technique, ANSYS Cast Defects.
Article No : 10
Number of Downloads : 0
- Campbell, J., 1991, “Casting”, Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford.
- Campbell J., “Casting practice the 10 rules of casting,” Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 1st edition, 2004.
- Pariona, M.M., Bolfarini, C. dos Santos, R.J. and Kiminami, C.S., 2000, “Application of Mathematical Simulation and Factorial Design Method to the Optimization the Atomization Stage in the Forming of a Cu- 6% Zn Alloy”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, v.102, n.1, pp. 221-229.
- Prabhu K.N., Chowdary B. and Venkatraman N., “ Casting/Mould thermal contact transfer during solidification of Al-Cu-Si Alloy(LM 21) plates in thick and thin moulds,” Journal of Material Engineering and Performance, Vol 14, No. 5, pp. 604-609, 2005.
- K N Seetharamu, R Paragasam, Ghulam a Quadir, Z A zainal, B Sathya Prasad and T Sundararajan “Finite element modelling of solidification phenomena” Journal of Material Engineering and Performance, 26,pp. 103–120, 2001.
- Miguel Cervera, Carlos Agelet De Saracibar and Michele Chiumenti ‘‘Thermo-mechanical analysis of industrial solidification processes”, Int. J. Numer. Meth. Engng, 46, 1575-1591, 1999.
- Sunanda Das, Dr. Rakesh L. Himte “Design &Analysis of Pure Iron Casting with Different Moulds” International Journal of Modern Engineering Research (IJMER), Vol. 3, Issue. 5, Sep-Oct. 2013 pp-2875-2887.
- Qiao Yin-hu, Zhang Chun-yan, Chen Jie-ping “Casting Forming Process simulation of Aluminium Flywheel” TELKOMNIKA, Vol. 11, No. 4, April 2013, pp. 1930-1933.
- R. Vijayaram, S. Sulaiman, A.M.S. Hamouda, M.H. Ahmad “Numerical simulation of casting solidification in permanent metallic molds”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 178 (2006) 29–33
- A. Canales, J Talamantes-Silva, D Gloria, S. Valtierra, R. Colas “Thermal Analysis During Solidification of cast Al-Si alloys”, Thermochimia Acta 510 (2010) 82-87.
- G. Kang, Y.I. Son, S.W. Youn, “Experimental investigation of semi–solid casting and die design by thermal fluid-solidification analysis”, Journal of Material Processing Technology 113(2001) 251-256
- Prashant R. Anerao, Yashwant S. Munde “Thermal analysis of feeder neck using FEM for metal casting” International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering ISSN 2250-2459, Volume 2, 2012.
- Sergey V.Shepel, Samuel Paolucci “Numerical simulation of filling and solidification of permanent mold casting” Applied Thermal Engineering 22 (2002) 229-248.
- Campbell J., “The new metallurgy of cast metals: Casting,” Elsevier Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford, 3rd edition, 2003.